PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL - just about to start
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2013, 00:28
Con_G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it comes time to go solo, you may s^&t yourself thinking that you are not ready, but you will be, your instructor wouldn't send you otherwise. Speaking of solos, this is where it is all down to you and you will be surprised how everything you have learned up to this point just seems to click when you are the Pilot In Command. One more thing, it will take about a week for you to come down from the high of knowing you took off, flew and landed a plane by yourself.

Also, if there is anything your not completely confident doing (e.g. crosswind circuits, stalls, steep turns e.t.c, for me it was radio calls and joining the circuit at a CTAF) then read up as much as you can on the subject, talk to your instructor about it, then get others opinions/advice on here (although you probably get alot of "ask your instructor, thats why your paying him/her" type replies but just ignore those) then ask to do a lesson just on that particular weakness until you feel you could do it in your sleep.

You will be bombarded with acronyms and abbreviations on almost everything re aviation, don't sweat it too much, it all starts to make sense eventually. I have a link on my home computer that explains every aviation abbreviation that I will post when I get home later.

As mentioned I had problems with radio calls, so when I was at my airport I had a scanner hooked up to a voice recorder recording all transmissions on tower frequency which I would listen to while driving to work which seemed to work pretty well.

Last edited by Con_G; 30th Jan 2013 at 00:49.