PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2013, 19:05
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snakepit - the voice of a realistic observer if I may say so! Well said, but falling on deaf ears I think.

Surely amongst many of the commentators here there must be an understanding of how these contracts play out - please tell me you aren't all green behind the ears????

This contract isn't based on holistics, it isn't based on a scientific research programme of the most optimised solution for UK SAR. It is "just" another government contract designed by governmental servants. It's like, say the HS2 project, a new runway and so on.
Anything that is dispensed by government already has a semi hidden agenda. The essence of the suggested programme is NOT the main issue. It's all about brownie points/assisting and supporting the economy or the currency or the politics of the country.

The 2 men dictating this project: One a Navy Commmodore and the other a senior DfT official will listen primarily to what is best for the country first and then look at what is best for UK SAR second. Please tell me you realise this - yes?

The job is a done deal. The DfT brief is: what can we do to maximise jobs for the Uk workforce for the optimum price (in today's climate).

All we can do here is second guess the outcome based on this remit. Thus I surmise S92's and AW189's first and foremost. Secondly, I will commit to it being Bristows (due to the profit warning on Avincis). Thirdly, I will conclude by saying that the winning bidder will be invited (no competition) to sweep up the Falklands (separate) option for an attractive sum. If they say no, then the existing contractor will probably be invited to stay on.

In summary:
NO-ONE cares about cabin height at the end of the day. It's a pathetic argument to put fwd. It is not a tie breaker. The cabs that have been put fwd for selection will fall within the 'acceptable' government limit.
JOE public - don't care a hoot about any of this. Not one hoot. Couldn't care less if UK SAR folded tomorrow. SeaFarers might be concerned but that's about it. How many people would die next year if SAR wound down completely: 100? 200? A pittance in the great scheme of things. 233 died last Monday in a night club in Brazil!
It's a pure luxury that we are having UK SAR and all the 'blather', froth, emotion is going to do nothing to change this for what it is: just another bleeding government contract. Let's be grateful for small mercies: It won't be a PFI

HEMS the world over are using some of the most compact airframes available - with great success. The 117, 135, 145, 902, 355,139 attest to that. Makes you think the 189 is a cavern compared to these!