PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferry Pilots from "Dengerous Flights" TV show on Discovery
Old 29th Jan 2013, 15:59
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dye your hair ginger, eat a bit more than you should, abide only by rules, licencing requirements and regulations that are convenient (ignore the rest), ignore fuel calcs and headwinds, survive at least one deadstick landing and you are pretty much ready to start your own ferry company

PS also have atrocious spelling
Perfect! Im fyling the neccessary paperwork as we speek!
Surprised that this is apparently the first mention of this programme on Pprune. Thought it might have been embargoed by the Mods!
I too find the programme 'entertaining' and although almost certainly over dramatised for TV, having followed the unmentionable ginger one thread with interest (alarm?), what one can plainly see from this programme is the enormous pressure that is exerted to get the aircraft to intended destination. Businesses have to make profits but one doesn't like to see safety take second place. Well done to the pilots who stood up to 'The Boss' !!
Whilst I can see it would be an extremely stressful job, it looks like a proper, proper adventure. Seems a hell of a lot more challenging and interesting than the average jet jockey. Not for everyone of course but it certainly sparked my interest.

I searched the web for aircraft ferry services but none of them state anything about pilot recruitment. How do these fellas get their jobs? Is it similar to corporate aviation in that one would end up there through networking?

And whats more interesting is how much, and what sort of experience do these companies require from pilots? Presumably thousands of hours flying smaller props?