PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best way to become a commercial pilot?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2013, 10:14
pjharb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel Best way to become a commercial pilot?

Basically I've wanted to become a commercial airline pilot from the age of 4 and have been *super* excited about it ever since (I'm 19), however, at age 15/16 I turned to computing instead because my father did not want me to become a pilot due to the fact that he thought it was "dangerous" and then basically he tried his best to put me off it and he succeeded. Other people also told me that because I wear glasses, I would be unable to do it, along with the fact that I would not have been able to study aerodynamics at university because of lack of A-Level Physics. So those are what turned me to computing.

But a couple of months ago I realized that trying to achieve this dream is not far-fetched and that it actually is possible if I tried hard enough. So I began researching, finding out as much information as I can to help determine my path for the next 5 years or so.

This is my problem: at the moment I'm at university, in my second year, studying Computer Engineering. But I'm not sure how this fits into my career plan... I mean it's one of the closer degrees and I'm sure it will give me an advantage when applying for airlines, however, I thought that I can finish uni, work in computing to save up enough money to pay for flying lessons to get my PPL, but, with hard work and with my dad's help I CAN get my PPL while at uni, i.e. in the next 18 months... is that the best way to do it?

I have tried searching for airline sponsorships but they all require massive security bonds, which I do not have, nor does my father have, and we do not have a property in the UK to tie against a loan, so something like that is not possible...

I've applied for the Air League Flying Scholarship (gives me 12 hours towards PPL in summer), along with their engineering scholarship (2 weeks in scotland in the summer with BA, learning about aircraft engines, construction and maintenance of aircrafts, etc) and I will also be applying for the GAPAN scholarship, however, I doubt I will be accepted due to the fact that I have NO flying experience (I've booked my first flying lesson for a few weeks ago but have had to cancel and reschedule it 6 times due to snow, so will be doing it in the next 2 weeks), and I won't be accepted because I have not been in a club like Air Cadets or anything like that, but received an invitation for it in 2006 but did not join because I thought it wasn't flying focussed due to all the other activities they ran (football, rugby, etc, which I'm horrible at).

So there's my problem.... anyone have any idea/advice on what my next steps should be?