PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2013, 17:29
Danny42C

Tutti Frutti.

Chugalug,

I'm fairly certain that it was a "Summary" in those days, and that "Abstract" came later. (In the same way "Courts" became "Boards" of Inquiry - to conceal the fact that they were really out for blood, just the same).

I am not sure about what they would have on a Signal Square in '38 (I think they had them then). Later, IIRC, the "dumb-bells" would have black bars on them to indicate that you must use them as the grass was u/s (and of course, you must stay on the tarmac after landing).

As you say, we'll never know where the Fatal Flaw was in the Prosecution Case. I couldn't spot one, and reckoned that we were on a hiding to nothing......D.

Geriaviator,

Confession: When we first saw you in #3438 (20 Jan), we said "Doesn't he look young to be an airman ?" (as you were in normal airmen's working kit for the tropics). However, as it is often said, you know you're growing old when the policemen start looking younger (and even older when the Popes start looking younger), so we didn't do the arithmetic.

It now seems that the RAF was employing child labour (in contravention of Lord knows how many Statutes of the Realm - and probably of the Geneva Convention as well). And not only that, but contracting you out to the service of a Foreign Power ! How did they get away with it ? And were you suitably rewarded ?

(Cleaning plugs ! How well I remember (when a two-stroke stops, it's always the plug !) Did they have that clever bit of kit with a bunch of steel needles in a tube which screwed onto the end of the plug and you shook up and down ?
Happy days !......(Now let's hear a lot more of your story........D.

Cheers to you both,

Danny.