PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 STRANGE PTU behaviour
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2013, 10:09
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi EIU_EEC,

Not an AME, I’m afraid: just an 11-years-retired A320 pilot. Flying as passenger several times a year, I get to hear the PTU from the cabin almost as much as when I was working. So, just a few thoughts.

(1) Are you sure the PTU could overheat either the Green or Yellow fluid in as little as 2 mins?

(2) On both clips, the PTU is running only at a low height or on the ground.

(3) In the AMS landing, PTU starts at about 300ft, long after the flaps and L/G have been fully extended, and in the apparent absence of roll-spoiler or other flight control movement, except (possibly) the THS. As you say, it continues throughout the landing run. The increased noise during ground-spoiler and engine-reverse extension seems logical.

(4) In the easyJet take-off, it runs throughout taxiing and the take-off run. From start of take-off until rotate, the loads on the hydraulics are minimal. It stops 5 secs after lift-off, at which point the L/G would normally have started to retract. 10 secs after lift-off, the “ping” from the No-Smoking sign relay confirms that L/G retraction is complete.

(5) I wouldn’t expect the PNF to notice the Memo “HYD PTU” in the air at low height, but would certainly agree that it should be noticed eventually while taxiing. However, if there is a software fault, can we assume that the message will appear? I don’t know precisely what generates that message.

(6) Seems silly to ask, but could there possibly have been a mod to the PTU operation criteria? If not, this is a behaviour that needs to be explained.