PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dumb arses and guns...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 17:20
PTT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well PTT in a country of over 300 million, just 30,000 volunteers does not seem like a huge ammount! There could well be plenty of older people who wish to protect their Grandchildren while they are at school for example ie retired police/military.
Again, you're spitballing. Hard numbers please.

Do you an idea for a cheap system to increase security at schools but at the same time in no way restricts gun ownership?
Nope. Which is why I would place restrictions on gun ownership. I'm not talking about banning them though.

As for the statement about being 2.7 times more likely to be killed in a homicide if you have a gun in your own home than if you don't, I wonder if that is true, sounds like propaganda or incorrect data from the anti gun folks.
Nope, I've posted the study before. Here it is again. To quote myself from the last time I posted it:
After eliminating the impact of other variables like illegal drugs and domestic violence, the researchers found that the risk of getting killed was 2.7 times greater in homes with a gun than without them. No protective benefit of possessing a firearm was ever found, not even for a single one of the 14 subgroups studied.
You might feel safer with a gun, and you probably want to believe that you are "safer" from being killed if you own a gun, but the fact is that you are not. The study is multivariate, so it compares [you with a gun in your house] with [you without a gun in your house] and finds that [you without a gun in your house] is a lot less likely to be killed. I'm sure you find that counter-intuitive and contradictory to common sense, but then so are many other things (think Schrödinger and you're at the tip of a very big iceberg).