PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dumb arses and guns...
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2013, 20:09
brickhistory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting how many accents one could hear at the various Vegas gun ranges coinciding with Red Flag, etc.

Same as when I go to the only indoor range here in my new Midwest home. Not unusual to hear one or two of those young men (mostly) with the short haircut and the non-Midwestern accent signing up for a lane.

I would hope that the level of discourse here is a little better than in Jet Blast on the topic.

But basically, we, in America, have the right to own firearms. It is not for the federal government to infringe upon that. Individual states can, and do, what is permissable or not (This discussion is regarding semi-auto, widely in use weapons, not full-auto. Which are legal to own, just enormously cumbersome regarding the paperwork involved). But not the federal government.

We have the freedom to choose to own or not to own.

If one chooses, one has the responsibility that goes along with it. By far, the vast majority do.

Unfortunately, a few idiots don't.

But it is our decision and society. Not anyone else's. You visit other nations and cultures and abide by their norms. Just as we do (or should) when in yours.

Please note, this is dealing with legal gun ownership and use and not criminal activity which I believe is not eradicated on the far eastern side of the Atlantic either.

edited to add: While I wouldn't presume to speak for all gun-owning Americans this

Odd that a country which claims to lead the world is afraid of it's own
government.
has it backwards. Because there are so many gun-owning citizens, there are those in the government who are afraid of us.

Just as the Founding Fathers (who used The English Bill of Rights as one of their research documents, complete with the "right to bear arms" although you wanted only Protestants!) intended.

And we intend to continue.

Last edited by brickhistory; 19th Jan 2013 at 20:20.