PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2013, 11:39
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Tiger to Spitfire? Well, maybe not.

Danny, I think I can answer your proposed conversion from Tiger Moth to Spitfire. My favourite instructor was Sqn Ldr Desmond Mock, who trained in Canada, flew Catalinas on Atlantic patrols from Lough Erne in Northern Ireland, left the RAF for a while and rejoined to end up as a CFS instructor on Vampires and JPs. Maybe some venerable airframe driver will remember him?

I had about 200 Tiger hours and could manage it fairly well -- slow roll down the runway at 1000ft into stall turn, recovering speed by diving to 200ft and landing off the ensuing loop, very silly I know but I had even less sense then -- when I asked him that very question. He replied that I might manage the Spitfire but it would be safer after a few hours in a Harvard.

Unlike today's trainers the Tiger Moth requires use of rudder against torque, but its gentle stall/spin was little preparation for the vicious low-speed flick of the Harvard. Trying to cope with higher approach speeds, retractable undercarriage, engine management, VP prop and radio had often proved a fatal combination. He said the Spitfire was more forgiving than the Harvard, though apparently the Mustang could also bite the unwary.

I never did try a Harvard, but I remembered Desmond's kindly words when I eventually encountered wheels, VP prop and full panel in the viceless Piper Arrow. I eventually got all these sorted, and I'm still just about serviceable, so if anyone has a Spitfire handy ...