PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2013, 01:51
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are they Chinese batteries?
No.

As for the rest of your diatribe; how does that saying go regarding specks in one's own eye first? I'm certainly one of the last people on the planet to speak up in favour of the Chinese but there are plenty of incidents and accidents that have been caused by US-produced parts: centre fuel pumps, landing gear actuators, rudder servos etc, so it's probably a good idea to stop flinging those stones around in your glasshouse.

In making the 787 Boeing out-sourced more manufacturing and parts than on any model aircraft they've previously built. This, of course, contributed to the delivery delays and now we are, possibly, seeing another downside to their strategy. IF the batteries are to blame, and not some other system that's causing the batteries to misbehave then, by all means, get the problem sorted but there's nothing to suggest the batteries of the US are any better, or worse, than those produced elsewhere.

Our US made batteries alway worked just fine in jets.
I couldn't tell you where the batteries on any of the aircraft I've flown were made. Can you tell me that all the jets in which the batteries 'worked just fine' were made in the USA?

Edited to add: Sorry FBO, looks like we crossed in the post. I must type faster in future

Last edited by Pontius; 17th Jan 2013 at 01:53.