PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2013, 21:00
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Shortly before 110 squadron disbanded in Singapore we had our oldest Whirlwind 10 force land and was damaged. It went off to the
MU at Seleter and after a couple of months I telephoned them as to its condition as I held the inventory for all the squadron's aircraft. I was told that it had been given to the Singapore Air force as a fuselage repair trainer.
I informed SCAF and after they had checked they asked me to go over and clear off the inventory. As Changi was shortly closing we had people posted in for short tours and one was this young WRAF supply officer. There then followed a long session of the Warrant Officer feeding us conversion chits as we disposed of the aircraft.
This Whirlwind was carrying an incredible amount of other squadron's equipment; possibly even a Griffon engine and a Hercules noseheel assembly. After we had finished clearing up the entire station's loose ends it was decided, despite the fact I was a hundred miles from the accident, that all my flying clothing was on it too.

It saved an awful lot of people an awful lot of trouble, including me.