PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - R-22 ROTOR SEPARATION? Florida Photo
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2013, 09:48
blakmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailing edge separation

Matari, I note the segment of blade held by the person in the picture. From initial observations I do not see any adhesive on the LE foaming adhesive bond surface. This means one of two things: 1. the adhesive was never bonded along that face or 2.(more probable) the failure was through the core. Closer investigation would tell the actual location of the failure.

Is that TE separation related to the crash? My initial thoughts are that it is not. The spar appears straight so that suggests that this blade has not impacted the cockpit or boom, which I would expect if a segment of blade had failed at the start of the crash. It is possible that the other blade has different damage patterns.

My suspicions fall on the close up discussed by leleb(etc.). If you look at the very left of the blurred image at the very end of the remaining structure, you will note that the left side appears bright, but the rest of the surface appears dull. Rapid fracture surfaces are usually brighter than regions where fatigue cracking has occurred. I stress that this is only a suspicion. Closer inspection would be required.

I'd love to make comments about the look on the guy's face but in respect to the deceased, it may not be appropriate to make light fun under the circumstances. RIP.

Regards

Blakmax

Last edited by blakmax; 9th Jan 2013 at 09:50.