PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2013, 00:05
Danny42C

Happy New Year to all PPRuNers.

Fareastdriver,

There was a famous case at Gaydon (?) in the early days of the Vulcan. In a worst-case asymmetric landing exercise (the two out on one side had been idling a while), the student was making a piggies of it. The instructor took it back (rather late) and whacked all four open.

The thing dived off onto the grass, put a wingtip in, whipped round, wiped off the mains, and carried on backwards at ton-up-plus on its belly towards the Tower (Alarm and Despondency in ATC). Before getting there, it rode roughshod over the Flying Wing carpark, finally knocking a sizeable chunk out of a corner of the Tower (where the loos are) and coming to rest.

The only casualty was a passing airman, who was running for his life. Looking over his shoulder as he ran, he went slap into a brick wall (his injuries were not life-threatening). The car-park was a sad sight (I think Air Clues or whatever printed a photo).

All about 18" high, but you could read the number and maker's logos still. (It was reminiscent of the sad bales of scrap coming out of a car crusher: quite often the front number plate is visible still: a sad last reproach to the owner whom the car had served so faithfully, but who had now consigned it to this cruel fate).

I heard that the RAF paid compensation on a new-for-old basis on condition that everybody kept his mouth shut. (It would have made quite an insurance claim, wouldn't it ? - ("there was this V-bomber.....)

Having said that, your chaps were very lucky. Once an asymmetric T7 had got the bit between its teeth, there was generally no way back. The Caravan Corporal would have done better to dive underneath the van. I wouldn't have bothered with the door ! Concur exactly with you about the aircraft - it's the behaviour I described as the "wooly" feel......D.

P.S. (Your bike story - Oops !)

Chugalug,

Yes, we do seem to have had a cavalier disregard for human life in those days. I think our all ex-war Senior officers were still in wartime mode: there were always more Prunes where this one had come from. (C'ést la guerre). Bloggs replaced Prune, but the thinking didn't change. This was hard luck on Bloggs, but that was how it was.

Yes the JP looked a nice little aeroplane, and, as we've always said, "If it looks right, it'll fly right". Never had a ride in one, but think it would be something like a Vampire, which was very nice.........D.

ORAC,

Thank you very much for the time and trouble you must have taken in this research on my behalf. But it looks as if money is involved, and I'm a paid-up member of the Scrooge, Fagin & Shylock club. Myself, I'm quite certain the chap was killed - I certainly hadn't dreamed it - but was just strange that I couldn't trace a record........D.

All the best for the New Year, and thank you for the kind words about my tale,

Danny.

P.S.

wilyflier,

Feb - March 1950. They were exciting times (looking back on them). Then they were just terrifying !

Danny.

P.S. II

Taphappy,

As I've said to Chugalug, it all sounds unbelievable now, but that was how it was then. I would guess it would be the early '60s before public opinion at last forced the RAF to pay more than lipservice to Flight Safety.

Sterner stuff ? No, just luckier stuff, Taphappy. Will keep lum reeking as lang as possible. Roll on this fracking business ! - pension may run to a few more cu. m. of gas then.

Happy New Year to our latecomers, as well.

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 20th Feb 2015 at 16:54. Reason: Extra Text.