PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2013, 22:48
wilyflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driffield

Danny 42 c
What year was all that? I remember waiting for take off and seeing a Vampire do what you described
Pressure was on to expand our defense and I for one thought I might not live to the end of the course.
I was suitably humbled as we all were by the sight of a Queen Mary parked outside the classrooms wit the wreck of a Vamp or Meatbox,... a fresh one every week.
The Meteor certainly gave excellent grounding for any sort of assymetric flying in later life on big aircraft
Having bollocked me the Wingo Flying took me up to show me how when id had a bit of difficulty .
(I had had to go around on one,low on fuel, having forgotten to put the gear down they shot red vereys at me and I didnt see the red uc lights cos it wasnt even selected! )
He was very kind,and explained a lot including the scars on his arm from a Mosquito propeller when he was forced to put it down on one. I realised now how to give it the boot and lock my leg.
I was congratulated, passed out and sent off on leave
Just before I exited the main gate I heard a screech from the runway as a Meteor ground to a stop on its belly
'Twas the Wingco and the Stn C.O.on a mutual training flight,... forgot the wheels
Others werent so lucky with their bollockings.One chap was picked on taxying back from outside the far end towing bits of fencewire; He then made the mistake of telling the Wingo that he thought it was not so bad because he had already done the same in the morning and nobody said anything to him