PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not respecting SOPs
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2012, 20:05
TheRobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member. Hi!

It's obvious that a crew not reading checklists, acting like cowboys shouldn't be in charge of aircraft.

But pros should know when the situation calls for working outside of the SOPs, and not robotically fly to the scene of the accident reading their checklists.

The problem with a SOP can arise when say during an engine restart, they require a full shut down/cage procedure, and you have a mountain just ahead. Or maybe you just leveled at FL450 and there is nothing about checking your O2/mask. ( I added that)

Disregarding SOPs out of hand is silly and unprofessional, but at the same time, there are a ton of accidents where the SOPs got in the way, for instance always trying a fly an aircraft off after VR. Consdier the Jack screw Alaska issue. Instead of flying for another hour, calling dispatch, flipping through manuals, someone should have said, 'hey we've got a flight control problem, that supercedes schedules, my retirment, chain of command, union issues, the check list, let's get it down'.

So optimally we have pilots who can make a judgments where the SOPs mitigate 99% of the potential problems, but maybe you are faced with something where the variables aren't covered in the book. Now make a decision. Some will call a guy a cowboy for disregarding a SOP but the litmus has always been 'yeah, but I saved a plane load of passengers'.