PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is an approach complete?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2012, 23:39
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because there isn't any such reference.
aterpster,
Sorry, old chap, it's in Annex 10, Vol.2, and repeated in the Australian AIP.

You should call up your local IFR area control center and ask them what the clearance limit is when you receive an approach clearance - trust me, they know!
Italia 458,
I don't need to, see above --- as far as the meaning of "cleared for approach", and the stated clearance limit.

For those of you who seem to believe all missed approach segments end in a holding pattern, I suggest you have a thumb through an international Jepp., you might be surprised. That they normally do in US, for example, does not mean the rest of the world, or the procedure design options, require same.

Places that are a good example of the scramble for ATC when an aircraft does not land off an approach, regardless of the regulatory theory ---- and all from personal experience:
KJFK --- goes double when Canarsie approach is in use, KLAX, KSFO, EGLL, EGKK, EGCC, EDDF, EHAM and any major airport in Australia.

The nearest I have ever come to a mid-air was during a missed approach, 28L at EGLL, with another aircraft taking off on the same runway, fortunately a very slick ATC sorted, but a hard left turn a 500' on a missed approach wakes you up!!

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 29th Dec 2012 at 00:11.