PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is an approach complete?
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2012, 17:19
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LeadSled...

Wherever you fly, your home CAA or whatever, have a look up your AIP, it will probably be there, it is also in Annex 10, Vol.2 somewhere: The phrase "cleared for approach" means the clearance limit is the threshold. Not any other point in space. Look it up to satisfy yourself. This sort of thing is basic, it is not a matter of opinion. You might also find it in UK CAA CAP 413.
You're going to have to show me a reference for that. If you're cleared for an approach, the clearance limit is the missed approach holding waypoint. If a controller thinks that you will likely go missed due to weather they will usually amend the missed approach clearance by giving you a new missed approach clearance with a clearance limit. This is an example directly from Nav Canada ATC MANOPS:

ON MISSED APPROACH CLEARED TO THE NORTH

BAY VOR VIA VICTOR THREE SEVEN CLIMB TO ONE

SEVEN THOUSAND. UPON LEAVING THREE

THOUSAND TURN LEFT DIRECT MUSKOKA NDB,

PROCEED ON COURSE.

The clearance limit in that clearance is the North Bay VOR.

The "missed approach" begins anywhere down the approach that the approach is discontinued, as Westhawk has noted. The design missed approach segment begins at the DH or MDA for the particular approach.

I do know the different segments of the instrument approach procedure. And I agree that a "missed approach" starts anytime you start it! But the missed approach segment, as you mention, is fixed.

CAR 602.127(1) states: "Unless otherwise authorized by the appropriate air traffic control unit, the pilot-in-command of an IFR aircraft shall, when conducting an approach to an aerodrome or a runway, ensure that the approach is made in accordance with the instrument approach procedure."

If ATC doesn't amend your approach clearance, you must make the approach in accordance with the instrument approach procedure. Is the missed approach segment part of the "instrument approach procedure"? Yes, it is. You must therefore follow it, unless you have an amendment to that ATC approach clearance.

If you think your clearance limit when "cleared for approach" is the missed approach hold (if there is one) try a missed approach somewhere busy, and you will get a practical demonstration otherwise.

Wow! Show me a regulation that says that I can't do a missed approach when it's 'busy'. I don't give a damn if it's busy or not! And ATC doesn't either. They're required to protect the airspace (if in controlled airspace) from all IFR, and sometimes VFR, traffic when you're operating on an IFR clearance.

Can you show me an approach that doesn't have a missed approach holding point?

You should call up your local IFR area control center and ask them what the clearance limit is when you receive an approach clearance - trust me, they know!

Last edited by italia458; 28th Dec 2012 at 17:22.