PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not respecting SOPs
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2012, 13:05
9.G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headset rule

CAT.OP.MPA.215 Use of headset — aeroplanes
(a) Each flight crew member required to be on duty in the flight crew compartment shall wear a headset with boom microphone or equivalent. The headset shall be used as the primary device for voice communications with ATS:
(1) when on the ground:
(i) when receiving the ATC departure clearance via voice communication; and
(ii) when engines are running;
(2) when in flight:
(i) below transition altitude; or (ii) 10 000 ft, whichever is higher; and
(3) whenever deemed necessary by the commander.
(b) In the conditions of (a), the boom microphone or equivalent shall be in a position that permits its use for two-way radio communications.

Now can anyone tell me what's unreasonable bout this rule? We take it for granted that SOP are the best way to operate. Apart from SOPs there's OM A which also sets forth the framework we're all bound by. Last but not least an abundance of reading material was given with definitions, descriptions and examples to distinct speculations from solid theories. So far I've only come across one case where some of the procedures were modified from its' original version due to an attempt to establish a common procedure across all fleets, mainly Boeing and Bus. That's the worst an operator can do in my personal opinion. Part A is common grounds for operational strategy, tactics, policies etc. SOPs should be kept as it was intended by the manufacturer not at last due to easiest way to keep up with the updates and modifications.

Last edited by 9.G; 27th Dec 2012 at 13:07.