PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson Airways
Thread: Thomson Airways
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2012, 11:47
caaardiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time's have changed since the BY days. You have the likes of EZY and FR to thank for that. People want cheap fares, on board product is just a luxury.
Thomson did a lot of research into taking the meal offerings away and brought in the snacks menu, which whilst not popular with everyone, seems to be the way things have gone.
IFE was withdrawn as new technology means people can keep themselves occupied in different ways. Personal seatback IFE is just not cost effective on short/mid haul flights, and removing overhead IFE is a cost and weight saving.
The same reason for the Ticket Desks being taken away, people have become more self sufficient, tickets no longer exist, its all e-tickets. Passengers create their own add-ons online or in travel agents. As far as I know, online check-in will be introduced soon.
Unfortunately not all of the above will suit everyone, but its the way times have changed.
I havent seen it mentioned here, but Thomson are currently reconfiguring their 757 fleet into a 221 config. Taking out 2 rows from the front and middle cabin, increasing legroom. I'm not entirely sure how this effects the rear cabin.