PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unmanned drones likely to take over Nimrod spy duties
Old 18th Dec 2012, 20:10
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
And all we are hearing from you LJ is that RPAS are the future of everything without you listening to the experts. It is not to say that it can't be done just that it ain't going to happen in the next 10 to 20 yeas. Lots of people on here have tried to explain why your plastic toys aren't (yet) going to crack this, in the near term. The problems are complex, something that you cannot see because you don't seem to understand what it takes to do ASW. You have completely ignored the points raised by many about buoy numbers, weight, size, the need for a complete redesign of the sonobuoy, it's delivery, it's monitoring etc etc. you have failed to understand the benefits of a manned MMA and the quotes from Betty and PA are all open source and taken from MOD studies and parliamentary reports.

The reason SofS and CAS got it so wrong is because neither of them understand the complexity either. And there are the UAV fanatics within main building who keep saying that UAVs are the future and the solution to everything because they have their own agendas Finally you still have not acknowledged that we seem to be the only nation in the world that think UAVs are the future of ASW. Logic suggests that someone has got it wrong (in the short to medium term) and for all the reasons that people have patiently tried to explain, it would appear to be the UK. That and the fact that politicians regularly confuse Nimrod R1, MR2, AEW3 and MRA4, so it's perhaps not surprising they don't get the complexity of ASW.

As for me, it's lovely of you to think that I am worried about job protectionism or roles and that I am a Luddite (you couldn't be further from the truth by the way) as I will be long gone by the time any replacement comes along.