PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MDA correction for area QNH
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2012, 03:48
kalavo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agent 86, take a break for five minutes and have another read of it.

All approaches in Australia are designed as if you are using Forecast Terminal QNH.

If you have an actual QNH (ATC, ATIS, AWIS or CASA approved met observer and valid for 15 minutes) you can reduce the Forecast Terminal QNH minima by 100'.

If you do not have a TAF or TTF and hence no forecast Terminal QNH, you can use Area QNH, but you must increase the Forecast Terminal QNH minima by 50'.

It makes no difference whether your aerodrome has a regular TAF service or not. Though my understanding is BOM will provide a TAF on request for any aerodrome with an approach.

The only difference between DAPS and Jepps is the way they display the same data. Jepps likes to show the minima for Forecast and Actual QNH (but not Area), DAPS only shows Forecast. My guess is their reasoning is approach design varies a little worldwide, and they don't want people doing something dumb at 4am after a long overseas flight, because their country of origin's approaches are designed to actual QNH.

Edit:

Sorry reread your original question. You should find the places you are going to do not have the shading next to the minima on AIP charts. On Jepp charts they will only have one minima displayed. In both cases you should be adding 50' if using an Area. If this still doesnt make sense, let me know the aerodrome/chart and we'll try and pick apart the difference properly for you.

An example of where a regular TAF service is not AVAILABLE (different to provided) is Bromelton in Brisbane. ASA charts not shaded (can't reduce the minima), Jepp's only provides one minima.

Last edited by kalavo; 18th Dec 2012 at 04:07.