PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL skills test advice
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2012, 07:57
piperarcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odai

I failed the NAV section on my PPL when I did it. I had to divert to Fenlans which is a small field in amongst a number of others, and isnt the easiest airfield to find. My mistake wasnt so much I couldnt find it, but that I didnt apply logic in identifying built up apear properly. I mistook one large town for another.

A good instructor I flew with subsequently told me to positively identify three things about the town or built up area you are trying to identify e.g. does that road running north.south correspond to the map?, does that river running east/west correspond with the map?, does that trainline to the southwest correspond with the map? There are many more examples using lakes, other towns, VRP's and so on. The point is dont take just one feature of that town and accept that is what you think it is on the map.

If you fail either the NAV or the General Handling, then you get a partial pass and you just do the failed part again another time. I found out on the way back after passing the general handling bit, but it wasnt a surprise really given my adventures around the Fenland area ;-)

Good luck though BTW :-)

Last edited by piperarcher; 14th Dec 2012 at 07:58.