PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL skills test advice
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2012, 22:22
Odai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL skills test advice

Hello,

I'm finally booked in for my skills test next week after a majorly protracted PPL (started in 2008, various gaps due to personal problems).

Assuming the weather holds out and I can fly, I was wondering if anyone had any tips?

For example, on what kind of points can an applicant fail?

I currently have a couple of concerns with my flying. The main one is that I've had difficulty identifying built up areas during my navigation lessons. On my mock tests my instructor had to drop some small hints to help me (eg, there is a railway here, a lake there) and on one occassion had to correct my identification of a built up area when I was looking to work out my track error. Would any of this result in a fail on the real test?

I also had issues with practice forced landings without power. What is the examiner looking for with respect to these? Unfortunately during my final lesson practising these, the nature of the local area (built up) meant we couldn't take it too far down due to the 500ft rule and a lot of the tries weren't completed because of this, my instructor is happy with what I did do though.

If I do something to fail the test during the flight, will the examiner let me know immediately and cut the flight short? And in this scenario, what is it that I would have to repeat? For example, if I made a mistake with an approach/landing would I need to repeat the entire handling section of the test, including the parts I did well in, or would I only need to do some circuits with the examiner?

Any other advice/tips in general for the skills test would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again

Odai.

Last edited by Odai; 13th Dec 2012 at 22:24.