PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opinions wanted for UAV completely take over the helicopter in the long term future?
Old 9th Dec 2012, 17:31
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Heli823,

I shared some airspace with you, in a manner of speak. What you have said is entirely correct given the environment you are in. I don't see a need to comment on each of your points. You are doing good work and keep it up.

The counter is that, after having shared airspace with a variety of UAV's and now happily working in a different environment, I absolutely do NOT want to do it any more. Until 'see and avoid' is in the UAV capability they should remain completely away from civil VFR traffic. Most models are fairly blindly cruising through the air which is dangerous in less controlled
and busier airspace.

I've also noticed a similarity to what these other posters have been hinting at: with no pilot at risk in the operation, many operators become very casual about what risk their tools are causing. This will eventually bring new and onerous regulation that will put the brakes on the explosion of usage that is happening now. Unfortunately, a few more deaths will be needed to get the pendulum swinging.