PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Virgin Be Tighter........
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2003, 00:28
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EP

Stage 1: VB do this.
Stage 2: Proves nothing except whether the candidate is good at BS.
Stage 3: Has been proved not to be of any value and is therefore not used much outside of aviation, certainly not by modern, enlightened companies.
Stage 4: Outside of a very few carriers (JAL etc) this is not done. And we're not astronauts.
Stage 5: And what enlightened system would decide a candidate is suitable or not based on 30 minutes in a (probably) unfamiliar aircraft (sim) under very stressful conditions? Everyone I know who has been successful in a interview sim ride has bought sim time so they don't stuff it up. It is rediculous to expect someone who's used to, for instance, an F28/DHC8/B737 to hop into an A320 sim and fly it well cold...and proves nothing other than the stupidity of those requiring you do. VB have plenty of opportunities to release you if you don't perform in the sim, and it costs them very little.
Stage 6: Proves you've read Handling the Big Jets.
Stage 7: Critical revue of what?

I have been (successfully) through both the 4 day marathon which you espouse and the 30 minute quicky based on recommendation (not VB) that you seem to believe is so flawed. Neither system is perfect however the later is far less flawed than the former. QF is living proof of that!

I have an uncle just in the process of retiring from a senior management position (non aviation) who has vast experience in HR. When we discuss general airline recruiting he shakes his head in amazement. Except when it comes to discussing the style of recruitment used by VB, and others I might add. In his opinion this style of recruiting staff is very powerful and is the method used universally in modern, enlightened non aviation companies.

Chuck.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 29th Jan 2003 at 00:41.