PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde crash: Continental Airlines cleared by France court
Old 8th Dec 2012, 02:48
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HumaidDaPlane
Something does not look right, if there was a scrap of titanium regardless of where it came from there should have been a quick runway check as is now a common practice in airport's today
Not after every departure there isn't. Prior to every Concorde depatture might have worked, but still - the systems failure exposed by this accident was not fully understood, and even if it were the application of such a procedure could well have harmed passenger confidence in the type.

if this had been carried out then could it still be possible that the concorde would remain in the skies to day?
Possibly, but definitely not for much longer. The truth is that operating the type was incredibly expensive to start with - and even with BA's operation able to turn a profit, the increase in fuel costs over the last decade combined with the dwindling supply of spare parts would have rendered her obsolete well before the airframes became unserviceable. I admit and accept this reality despite being a huge fan of the aircraft (I watched the last three flights pass over Battersea Park where I was working at the time and felt a lump in my throat and a wrench in my gut as each one passed).

She may have been able to temporarily survive any one of the aftermath of the accident, the rise in oil prices or the slump in executive air travel post 9/11, but there was no way she could survive all three.