PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC Captain O.P. Jones
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2012, 12:55
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the contributor who sent it to me mentions in his text that his father was also regularly in contact with David Beaty
Slight thread drift. While visiting relatives in Tonbridge, Kent in the middle 1970's they mentioned that David Beaty lived in a nearby village. I had read some of his books including "Call me Captain" and the Naked Pilot.

My wife and I dropped in to see him as I wanted to say how much I enjoyed his fine book on flight safety The Naked Pilot. He was the epitome of the English gentleman and quickly invited us in for a cup of tea. Although I was English and having lived as a child during the war years in Kent, I was conscious of my now Australian accent compared to Beaty's very cut-glass British accent.

In discussing the pilot error stories which made up most of his book, he mentioned he had experienced more than a few problems getting the captains he had interviewed admitting their own flying mistakes.

I suggested that if he wrote a sequel to his book on pilot error, he should consider interviewing first officers rather than captains as first officers were often the captive audience on the flight deck who could tell a few harrowing examples of the stuff ups by their captains.

I was astonished when the convivial David Beaty immediately stood up from his chair, thanked me rather acidly for my opinion and showed my wife and I the door. A polite bums rush I suppose. It seemed I had crossed his British social class line by implying "captains" words were sometimes slanted by loss of face. In that era of old time captains it was simply not done to admit stuffing up occasionally. On the other hand, in his eyes, first officers by definition were simply subordinates whose opinions were not worth considering. Who knows, maybe my Aussie accent and perceived colonial attitude upset him.
....A few years after that little episode, someone invented CRM.

Ever since that experience I have viewed the haughty perceived grandeur of bearded veteran British old time captains such as O.P Jones and his ilk with grave reservations.

Last edited by A37575; 7th Dec 2012 at 13:01.