PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Cadetship 2012 & 2013
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2012, 02:41
The Kelpie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know there are over a dozen flight training organisations around Australia that will put your whole flying bill on Fee Help.
What they are doing is not allowed under the rules concerning eligibility for VETFEE funding. The following is an extract from the VETFEE providers handbook

3.3 Eligible unit of study

An eligible VET unit of study is a unit of study undertaken as part of a VET course of study. The VET course of study must meet the course requirements for VET FEE-HELP assistance [HESA, Schedule 1A clause 45].

An entitled student can only access VET FEE-HELP assistance for VET units of study that make up the minimum requirements to be awarded the qualification. If an entitled student enrols or undertakes VET units of study that are over the minimum requirement for the course they cannot access VET FEE-HELP assistance for those units [HESA, Schedule 1A clause 45A].

Including all or part of lower level qualifications within a VET course of study cannot be used as a means of creating an entitlement to VET FEE-HELP assistance for students.

A student is not entitled to VET FEE-HELP assistance for VET units of study where the student is enrolled in a non-VET course of study, such as a certificate I, II, III or IV level course. These VET qualifications must not be subsumed into higher level courses to enable the granting of VET FEE-HELP assistance.

VET FEE-HELP assistance is only available for:

• VET courses of study: o VET diploma; o VET advanced diploma; o VET graduate certificate; and o VET graduate diploma

• VET units of study that make up the minimum requirement for the student to receive the qualification

VET FEE-HELP assistance is not available for units of study:

• where the student is doing more than is needed to receive the qualification;

• that are not a part of the diploma or above qualification; and

• that are part of a lower qualification, i.e. Certificate I, II, III or IV.
The only part of the flying that is eligible for VETFEE funding is the training specifically for the Command Instrument Rating. The Regulations and the handbook make it quite clear that all other flight training is not eligible to be funded in this way.

This is probably being viewed as a trial scheme at the moment and if it proves successful, you will see a lot more people coming into the Virgin Group this way
Agree, but it will always be a success if they fill it with cadets that already have substantial flying experience and are simply doing, and paying for the majority of their flying training s second time. In order to make an informed view as to whether this ab-initio cadet ship is a success the should have selected true ab-initio cadets, or maybe that is the whole point!!!

Last edited by The Kelpie; 7th Dec 2012 at 02:46.