PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming BBC doc on Jets and the Cold War - help needed!
Old 5th Dec 2012, 10:38
tmoriarty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upcoming BBC doc on Jets and the Cold War - help needed!

Hi all - I posted this in the The Aviation History and Nostalgia thread but have been advised that it might get a bit more attention here....

I've got a favour to ask the PPRuNe forums.

I'm a researcher at the BBC and I'm working on a two part documentary about jets and their role in the Cold War for BBC2. I've done quite a bit of research on the topic and we're in the early stages of working out what to include - there's some fantastic stuff about the RB-45s and the U2s spying on the USSR in the '50s, and the contribution jets made to the West's deterrent, on both sides of the Atlantic - but the problem with all television is finding things to film!

My producers have asked me to put feelers out to get an idea of what's out there in terms of planes, places and people that we could get on screen, in the UK, USA and Russia. I've done a lot of digging into this but there's only so much google can tell you! I'd be really grateful if anyone has any tips for potential contributors, be they pilots/crew who flew the planes, experts in the field or enthusiasts, or any suggestions for some well preserved CW-era airfields, bunkers or bases. And if there are any great stories that show just how vital jet planes were in defining how the Cold War was fought that you think we should cover in the show, I'd love to hear them!

Post here, PM or:
[email protected]
07971 723731