PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inadvertent IMC question
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2012, 09:27
Evil Twin

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Where I used to work we had a student who went IIMC for 15 minutes in a Hughes 300 without even an AI to help. Just basic instruments and a turn and slip indicator.

The scenario goes something like this:-

The student was out on a pre PPL x-country navigation exercise who, when caught out by deterioratiing weather put a call out to Christchurch information (NZ) for assistance. Due to his location the radio conversation had to be relayed through a fixed wing aircraft. Somehow, CHCH thought he was an IFR equipped fixed wing aircraft and cleared him to climb to 7000' (ish can't remember the exact figures) The dutiful student that he was, and unbeknown to the amount of poo he was about to be in, he followed the instruction and begun a climb into the cloud.

Shortly after this he tuned up the second com set in the aircraft to our base radio and called in to let us know what was going on?! The very short reply was that he should remain only in contact with information and focus his efforts on flying the aircraft safely. We also didn't want to panic him though there were a number of very ashen faced instructors diving for computers to call up spidertracks. Now, we all new the equipment fitout of the aircraft and also knew that his chances were pretty slim on making it home. We watched the trace climbing up to 6750' ish and breathed a collective sigh of relief everytime we received a new ping. The next ping showed that he was descending and were later told that he was starting to get paniky as he climbed through 7000' and hadn't regained VMC. His next call to control was requesting a descent as not VMC and he was cleared back down to 2000' further descent was to be at his own discretion as he would then be out of radar coverage.

He eventually popped back out of the clouds at 1800' about 15 NM from base and made his way back without further incident. It's my belief that what kept him alive was that equalled to his presence of mind in working out that if he kept the compass pointing the same heading he'd be ok and if he maintained airspeed and power he must have a constant attitude, he also didn't know just how much of the brown he was in and therefore didn't panic.

We all thought that we were watching a dead man on the tracks that day, I am incredibly glad that he isn't and survived to relay his tale. I have told a large number of people about that day and indeed have had friends and collegues get in touch with him and ask questions.

I'm just about to complete my SECIR and would not want to be in a similar situation even with the limited experience that I have, I'm very glad that the trainee in question made it home safely that day. I also tell my students to stay away from clouds as aeroplanes and mountains hide in them.

ET

Last edited by Evil Twin; 29th Nov 2012 at 09:32.