PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inadvertent IMC question
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2012, 03:19
tartare

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Inadvertent IMC question

Chaps - a hypothetical question from a fixed wing PPL.
I am a non instrument rated pilot in a helicopter below MSA in deteriorating conditions, with steep terrain about a half kilometre away which I am travelling towards at about 120 knots, and being over thick bushland, there is no suitable landing site below.
I inadvertently enter IMC that shows no signs of thinning out, and am overloaded to the point that I can't remember the reciprocal heading to turn back onto.
Is best practise to:
*scan the panel to ensure I am straight and level, maintain airspeed and initiate an immediate climb to above MSA, because the translational lift over the disc will give me best climb performance, or,
*slow to as near to a hover as I can while keeping the aircraft straight and level, pull full collective and rise to above MSA
Question is asked in the context of a recent military crash I was reading about.
I had always thought that inadvertent IMC in a helicopter was less dangerous than a fixed wing because you could simply climb vertically to above MSA. However reading how difficult helicopter IMC flight is, and thinking about the possible disorientating effects of a rapid slow to a near hover while IMC - I'm not so sure.
Anyone able to offer any viewpoints?