PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sad story about a high and mighty check airman
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 05:46
woodyspooney

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many suns ago in the early 2000s when I was still in KAL, there were 2 AMPA pilots manning their B777 Check and Training...they were absolutely great trainers and checkers, truly competent and professional beyond reproach. They had thousands of hours training and checking pilots of Boeing customer airlines. They understood the difference in the handling characteristics and fidelity of various simulators world wide as well as the differences between simulators and actual aircrafts.

They left after Boeing set up Alteon bringing cheapie non type rated blokes who had no clue as to the actual B777 handling characteristics. Things went downhill and we had checkers tailoring their " failing quotas " to fit KAL's " proficiency training through fear " programme. Those unlucky enough to be picked or happened to have a slightly bad checked item would be failed no matter how well they had done overall. Of course they picked a few " problematic " Koreans ( non Air Force Academy alumni ) to be failed; but somewhere along that route, a couple of expats ( those who had embarrassed either KAL internal divisons or Alteon with their previous arguments ) would also be taught a lesson.

I am not sure how is it now with Alteon in KAL as I had left it a number of years ago. However I understand from former colleagues still holed up in SEL that there certainly isn't any change for the better. The concern here is money; non rated cheapies can be recruited for a song. Likewise Boeing AMPA pilots lose out to non rated pilots to ferry the B787s to QR and LAN.

Last edited by woodyspooney; 23rd Nov 2012 at 06:33.