PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statins - miracle or menace?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 20:42
gingernut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several risk tools available, QRISK, ASSIGN Framingham etc. All should give a reasonably close estimate of risk over 10yrs. (!) and they beat what we had before. (Which was guess work). They certainly aren't perfect and ther'e variations in there use.

As you can imagine, there's been a lot written about these lately, on a population basis, it probably not that important which on we use.

Usually statins are used on those with a 20% or greater risk. This is a purely arbitary figure, which has more to do with cost than anything else. (NICE).

Some people reckon that statins can help down to a limit of 7%-so to be to fair to your GP, he's taking your side against the nasty people at the medicines management deprtment !

Remember, all this is true for primary prevention (ie in those without established disease).

Once the patient has been deemed to be at 20% or more risk, then they are placed on a statin, thier liver blood profile should be checked 3 times in the first year, then any monitoring (including retesting the lipid level) should be forgot about, although in reality, there is a massive variation in practice.

I've heard some horror stories on here regarding statins. I look after an awful lot of patients who take statins, and I haven't come across many problems.

It's not for me to second guess your GP, and please don't take the general advice I've given here to guide the care for you. Chat to your GP, he'll be glad you've taken an interest.

Last edited by gingernut; 22nd Nov 2012 at 20:44.