PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 21st Nov 2012, 08:42
disagreeable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for all of your detailed posts. Very informative. Are the 777 slots open because of pilot departures or just fleet growth? Also, I thought that 787 slots were primarily going to be filled by A320 pilots - still true? Or will 787 slots be filled by pilots from all fleets who have the seniority to bid it (including those from the 777)?

Cheers
Thanks Iver, nice to hear that somepeople actually take note of reality!
to answer your Q's:
Thank you for all of your detailed posts. Very informative. Are the 777 slots open because of pilot departures or just fleet growth?
Primarily open for both but pilot departures are the main cause. (40 T7 F/O's and some cpts possibly) vacated across the water to the unmentionable T.had

But what the original deal was that the first handful of 787 huys were to come from the T7 (~20) then the rest from the 320 mostly (with smatterings from 330 etc). depending on delivery rate of the 787, it was originally going to be about 7 F/O's and maybe a captain here and there going to the 787 per month.

Now that the mass exodus of the T7 guys happened, I am not sure that the guys from the T7 have moved over, maybe just a small number untill T7 fleet is stabilised again......... BUT the direct entry guys on that should expect to stay on that I reckon! not a bad bird to be stuck on

Or will 787 slots be filled by pilots from all fleets who have the seniority to bid it (including those from the 777)?
In terms of mentioning "seniority number" and the bidding for stuff process in QR.

You get two numbers: A Joining Date number (staff number) and a FLC (final Line Check) number.

Now, as I mentioned that people are being steped over at a rapid rate in the training here so those poor bastards are watching guys join WAY after them and getting trained first, which gives them a FLC number before guys who joined months and months before them, which means that bidding for cmd and fleet transfers is being pushed way back for some (FTSO's and SO's mostly)!

Also, as a caveat to that, it states that "performace" is also considered when bidding... so if a CS didnt like you, or you mentioned to a captain about his delberate mishandling of the a/c and he has higher up contacts, expect that your "performance" wont place you in good steed for the cmd or the transfer...... very political and backstabbing..... sadly....

The only light at the end of the tunnel is that they are going to have to concede somewhere soon, when they get planes delivered that sit on the ground and people still leave in droves, they may actually start to work things out...... NOT (insert satirical diabolical laughter)

Hope this helps!
QR is ok, but it is certainly not the golden goose like many make it out to be.

Last edited by disagreeable; 21st Nov 2012 at 16:39.