PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FE / CRE Examiners Assessing English Language Proficiency
Old 17th Nov 2012, 01:53
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From Quote to References

When I first Posted I hadn't realised Flyer were simply quoting
CAA "Latest News" 09 Nov.

However, if you now try and access this article on the CAA website it takes
you to an updated (16 Nov) version in which the quote from CAA Head of
Licensing has been removed.

The advice now being:
[QUOTE]
Fulldetails of how to renew a language proficiency endorsement are set out in www.caa.co.uk/cap804Part 1, Section4, Part M
[/QUOTE]

Taking the this advice I revisited CAP804 and found this, which I hadn't seen before:
[QUOTE]
CAP804 Part 1, Section 4, Part M

5.1Transitionalarrangements for existing UK licence holders

UK licence holders who need torevalidate/renew a language proficiency
endorsement previously granted by the UK CAA may do so by:

a) passing a language assessment or test asset out in 4.1 above; or

b) passing a language assessment as set outin FCL.055(b) and AMC1FCL.055 section (a) to (l) inclusive, with theholder of a UK Examiner Certificate; (see Note 1). If the examiner assesses thecandidate as being Expert Level 6 (the standard of a native speaker of English) hemay certify to that effect by submitting a Form SRG 1199 to the CAA. If the examiner considers that theapplicant is not at Level 6 the examiner must not give aproficiency endorsement, in which case the alternative means of assessment of 4.1c), d), or e) must be used.

NOTE 1:
For these purposes a holderof a UK Examiner Certificate is any holder of a valid FE,
TRE, CRE, IRE, SFE or FIE certificate issued by the UK CAA.
[/QUOTE]

I then checked this:
[QUOTE]
Part-FCL AMC No.1 to FCL.055

(g) The assessment may be conducted during one of theseveral existing checking or training activities, such as licence issue or rating issue andrevalidation, line training, operator line checks or proficiency checks.
[/QUOTE]

From the above I believe CAA Head of Licensing was correct (so why remove his quote?) and I can now the/an official source can be cited.