PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2012, 03:43
frappe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all,

Just wanted to say first a huge thank you to everyone who's contributed (positively) to this thread I just finished reading through the whole thing, and have gained some awesome insight into the entire process. I'm currently in the process, just finished additional testing and waiting on an assessment day date. I just had a few more things that I want to clarify:

1. What is the accommodation situation at Tamworth? Is it organised by PSA, or are candidates expected to organise their own accommodation? No troubles either way, just curious.

2. I recently called DFR and asked how to get into contact with a currently-serving pilot, but the kind lady who answered had no idea. I tried to find the number for my closest base (Amberley) but couldn't find one. Does anyone know the best way to go about this? Or, if there are any current-serving pilots on these forums that want to message me, that'd be awesome On that note, I'd love to contact a pilot from each stream (ACG, ALG and SRG), is this possible?

3. I noticed a few pages back that the whole basic/advanced system had been changed at FSP, does anyone know in the current situation, how many flying hours puts you in each category?

4. Should the assessment day go well, and depending on the answer to the previous question, I'm planning on getting about 10-15 hours in the air before (hopefully) heading to Tamworth. One of the ways I was going to go about this is the ADF Cram Course at Red Baron Flight Training (Red Baron | Advanced Flight Training | Bankstown Airport Sydney). I've heard only good things about this course, and I don't mind spending the $$, but I'm wondering if it would be more beneficial to take that $2550 and spend it on ~10 hours in a glider? What do you guys think? Ideally, I'd like to do the Red Baron course and put a few glider hours on top of that, but I'll have to see how the financial situation goes later in the process.

Again, thanks to everyone who has contributed! And sorry for the long post