PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia to Lose 4500 jobs - 25 airframes
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2012, 08:56
MCDU2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant help but think that you BA boys and gals should be looking over your shoulder right now. Willy has a history of dividing and conquering, just look at the pilots he attempted to oust in Aer Lingus all those years ago. Fortunately we had a strong union and stood up to him.

For those of you unaware of his background then in a nutshell he was the most junior co-pilot on the seniority list at Aer Lingus. He got heavily into the union and became its president. He then jumped ship across to management and proceeded to turn on his colleagues - big style. From what I can gather he had few friends among the pilot ranks which is quite an achievement since we are generally a tight knit bunch given that there are only around 500 or so of us.I can honestly say I haven't ever heard anyone mention of meeting up with him for a drink and he is back and forth regularly and still keeps a house here in Dublin. The general impression was that Willy thought he was better than all of us and no doubt of you as well.

Now he has the BA pilots on various T&Cs, some with final salary pensions, others on contribution schemes and new entrants on a pay scale which many will never get to the top of unless ICAO have us all working into our geriatric years. Others were quite happy to serve tea in the cabin during the last industrial dispute.

I have no idea about the business model of Iberia but one thing is for certain. Once he has sorted out one side of the business he will be looking for more elsewhere. Whether its Vuelling or TAP or whoever, BA will eventually be in his sights.

Last edited by MCDU2; 10th Nov 2012 at 08:58.