PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Mann Helicopters (Nostalgia thread)
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2012, 14:51
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ciao Themib; Benvenuto su Rotorheads!

Grazie per la fotografia.

(Scriverò in inglese affinché altri lettori possano comprendere.)

For some time on the Nostalgia Thread we were a little perplexed as to which aircraft had been used during the filming of 'The Spy Who Loved Me' but then along came PPRuNer Tjef who had worked with Helicopter Hire in Southend (England) and who explained that the JetRanger G-BAML had been used. There is a write-up about this in post #1192 on page 60 of the Nostalgia Thread.

I agree with you that the helicopter chase scene for 'The Spy Who Loved Me' was probably filmed along the road (northbound) out of Olbia. There were no models used and the flying was performed (as you have read) by a British helicopter pilot called John Crewdson.

However .. the film did use both models and mock-ups; I think the parts where models were used is fairly obvious and the mock-up might have been used for close-ups while 'Naomi' (Caroline Munro) was 'flying' the helicopter:

Caroline Munro performing as Naomi while flying Karl Stromberg's JetRanger in pursuit of Bond (1977)

Caroline Munro attending a reunion at Pinewood Studios on 19th October 2008 with the Stromberg JetRanger mock-up

I would like to help you with more images of the Stromberg 206's (and Drax for that matter) but, despite the fact they appeared on film there seem to be precious few photographs out there in the public domain.

We have a member of PPRuNe, Chopper2004, who is knowledgeable about films and the helicopters used in therein, perhaps he may be able to assist further.

As mentioned previously, I am sure it is an Alan Mann 206 which features in 'Never Say Never Again' (1983) as posted in your last set of pictures but we would need an ex-Alan Manner to confirm this.

If you would like to see another JetRanger car-chasing-scene from the 1970's may I recommend the clip (below) from 'Dirty Mary Crazy Larry' (1974) which has another piece of skilful (if slightly risky) flying. Annoyingly (as many American studios are prone to doing) the JetRanger soundtrack is replaced with that of a Hughes 500!

Rgds

Sav