PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Mann Helicopters (Nostalgia thread)
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2012, 18:26
themib

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for Savoia

Savoia says:
We touched on this topic on the Nostalgia thread but .. I'm not entirely sure as to whether we resolved which craft was actually used in 'The Spy Who Loved Me'.

It was previously suggested that the craft re-painted in the above colours was G-BAKS. BAKS, we know, played a prominent role in the 1981 'For Your Eyes Only' movie - the flying sequence performed by Marc Wolfe. But, is it safe to assume that BAKS also starred in 'The Spy Who Loved Me'?

As with all the Bond films 'The Spy Who Loved Me' was filmed all over the place but I'm fairly confident that the flying sequences were performed in Sardinia in 1976 by John Crewdson. Can anyone reveal the identity of the aircraft which Crewdson flew? My godfather told me that John wore a wig during the flying sequences - and looked 'very pretty'! I am hoping that with the mock-up being tucked away in Mann's hangar that the lads from Mann may remember the actual aircraft involved.

In the unofficial Bond film 'Never Say Never Again' (1983) I have a feeling that a Mann aircraft was used (ever so briefly) for the landing shot by Miximillian Largo on board the 'Flying Saucer' yacht. The other helicopter featured in that film was a Bo105 which somewhat unceremoniously dropped Bond (or one of his colleagues) into a well!

Anyone in the know - please do enlighten us!
---
Well, this ios the US Navy BO-105 from Never Say Never Again:

I'm looking for info of Stromberg and Drax JetRangers. I'm italian too and I'm sure that the chase sequenze from The Spy Who Loved Me was filmed in live-action, whitout models or r/C mock-up or other special effects, in Sardinia's coast, the road from Olbia to Porto Cervo