PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus 320 type rating & 500 hours of Line training Rate of success??
Old 17th Oct 2012, 17:05
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A word of caution.

I cannot tell you how all airlines carry out their screening and recruitment, but I can tell you that with many companies there are certain "names" that raise a "red flag"! There are plenty of people with 500 hours of type experience (give or take a bit,) and it is not so much the quantity of that experience at this level, rather than the quality of it.

If an applicant with minimum time on type is coming from an established "quality" operator, it may well be because they have been laid off, or are looking for a more stable career path. There are plenty of such applicants, and coupled with the supply from other sources, quality airlines can very easily be selective in the background requirements of such applicants.

There is no price premium to the airline, and the quality of the applicants background training will almost always be a prime factor in shortlisting for interview. Few airlines are likely to be interested in buying in potential problems, or recruiting relatively inexperienced pilots with "dubious" or unrecognised backgrounds.

500 hours is often (with a degree of flexibility,) a minimum level of relevant experience, rather than a magic number. In these types of aircraft it is often acquired in less than a year of employment. It always needs to be obvious to the recruitment team why an applicant is presenting themselves with less than a year with another employer. Sometimes the reasons are obvious and understandable. Other times it may be because the employer wasn't an employer at all, or because of some other problem that is unlikely to warrant wasting any further time on.

It is a buyers market. The quality buyers are looking for quality applicants. They have a number of sources of supply, and nearly all of them are overstocked. The CV therefore needs to look attractive and desirable. "Red flags" to be avoided.

As I stated at the start of this post, I cannot tell you how each and every company sets their own standards, so there may be some mileage in this route, however I would be very cautious.