PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charter aircraft catch fire in Turkey
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2012, 08:04
paparomeodelta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Media follow up

Norwegian media has followed up the events, and I have edited and featured the parts that has to do with the crew. Translation is Google with minor adjustments to make it understandable:

Rasende flypassasjerer til VG: - Flyvertinnene forlot flyet uten å hjelpe oss - VG Nett om Luftfart

- My boyfriend was the last to leave the plane. He helped a family with children out. The crew was missing. Nobody saw anything of them, and we do not know where they went. There was no one to receive us at the bottom of slides, says Lene Orvik to VG Nett.

AP this afternoon talking with a number of passengers who were aboard the charter plane that night caught fire on the runway in Antalya, Turkey.

Everyone tells the same story: Flight attendants left the plane first. And the crew's behavior reinforced the chaos that prevailed in the dramatic minutes.

When panic broke out on board the aircraft, the crew were the first who left the burning plane, claimed passengers VG has spoken to. - The crew was missing. Nobody saw anything of them, and we do not know where they were, says Lene stator.
- There was a flight attendant right diagonally in front of me who spoke about safety procedures. She was missing during evacuation.I have the impression that it broke out greater panic among flight attendants than among passengers. I saw them afterwards, says Tine Norsted (29) from Trondheim to VG.

Lene Stator, which is one of the most prolific bloggers in Norway, sat in the middle of the plane when she saw smoke poured into the cabin further ahead.

- I shouted that we had fire, but the stewardess told me to calm me down. Then she turned and saw the flames themselves, and shouted, "Get out, run!". Then it was complete panic. People began to push in, the kids were pinned to the floor, said Stator.

- I was sure I was going to die. When you stand in the middle between a hundred people squeezed in a plane with fire and smoke spreading there, you think that this is the end. Luckily we taxied out when it started to burn. Had this happened in the air, we had not had a chance, said stator.

- Those who received the passengers who went out behind the aircraft performed well. But flight attendants inside the aircraft appeared frantic, waving arms and cried, saying Viggo Skålsvik (58) from Verdal.

Others saw nothing of flight attendants at all.

- Flight attendants were gone in a flash right after this happened. No one saw anything of them. Everyone cursed at them because they did not do what they should do. No one saw anything of them, says Ida Marie Kveli Selvik (19) from Namsos.

- Attendant's job is to make sure that passengers get out. So if these statements are true, they have broken with the procedures. Then the airline has an explanatory problem, says Jo Bear Skat Violence, Head of Air Safety Committee in the Norwegian Pilots Association.

- The same rule applies to an aircraft as any other vessel: The captain has the ultimate responsibility. He should be the last to go, says Skat Violence.

Last edited by paparomeodelta; 15th Oct 2012 at 08:07. Reason: forgot link