PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - norvegian air shuttle jobs info
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2012, 18:25
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am curious on one thing, how can a pilot be contracted with ONE company only?

I thought that there was some legislation to be legally self-employed you would have to work for several different contractors, not just one sole company, as this would put you in a position an an employee!

I am curious how the airlines have been able to circumvent this regulation?

As a general guide as to whether a worker is an employee or self-employed; if the answer is 'Yes' to all of the following questions, then the worker is probably an employee:

Do they have to do the work themselves?
Can someone tell them at any time what to do, where to carry out the work or when and how to do it?
Can they work a set amount of hours?
Can someone move them from task to task?
Are they paid by the hour, week, or month?
Can they get overtime pay or bonus payment?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the answer is 'Yes' to all of the following questions, it will usually mean that the worker is self-employed:

Can they hire someone to do the work or engage helpers at their own expense?
Do they risk their own money?
Do they provide the main items of equipment they need to do their job, not just the small tools that many employees provide for themselves?
Do they agree to do a job for a fixed price regardless of how long the job may take?
Can they decide what work to do, how and when to do the work and where to provide the services?
Do they regularly work for a number of different people?
Do they have to correct unsatisfactory work in their own time and at their own expense?

HM Revenue & Customs: Employment status

I know Norway have similar legislation.

I guess the ONLY ones who can stop this, is the local governments, can put a STOP to the contracting of pilots, as they do NOT meet the criteria to be Self-Employed!

The companies are doing this to circumvent huge local taxes!

Last edited by truckflyer; 4th Oct 2012 at 18:31.