PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane missing en route YCAB?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 21:31
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is always a sad, raw day when we loose one of the tribe; particularly when it's one of the rare breed who inspired; lived, breathed and loved flight, in all it's forms.

There are a couple of issues which we may discuss arising from the incident without offending and make good use of the Pprune voice.

1) Crash comic – the CC used to lay about in aero clubs, old articles rehashed, discussed and learned from. I can't put a number on it, but at least once a year there would be a reminder "I learned about flying from that" which discussed the perils of high performance weather v low performance aircraft, VFR into IMC, scud running, instrument flying for the out of practice etc. etc. They may not have prevented this accident, but they may have influenced someone else. Perhaps we need that kind of education to be resurrected.

If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten. Kipling.
2) Once again, it took for ever to locate the site. Perhaps we need to focus on ways and means to speed up the process. Mention fixed ELT in some bars and you'll loose a limb, mention portable ELT and a punch up is likely: Spider tracks and other proprietary systems seem to work well. Now I don't begrudge the cost of a SAR operation, at all. Just wish we could agree and sort out some system which could 'quickly' locate a missing aircraft, reduce the cost and risk to SAR operations; without years of debate and 47 pages of legislation.

It's bad enough that we loose folks: the waiting for resolution must qualify as at least one of the hells on earth. Sincere condolences to the family and friends.

Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn. C.S. Lewis.

Last edited by Kharon; 3rd Oct 2012 at 21:36. Reason: Forgot old Rudyard