PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 08:07
Chugalug2

Received 221 Likes on 69 Posts
Danny, sorry to hear that the PPRuNe dog ate all your homework yet again. If it is of any consolation he also ate my last post. What I have found though is that when you hit "Submit" only to be then invited to sign in again, click instead the browser "go back" arrow. You should find your work still there in its composing panel. Hold down left click and drag the mouse over the script until it is all highlighted, then right click and select "Copy". Now you can sign in again, go to the now empty panel, right click and select "Paste". The wretched hound should now regurgitate your words of wisdom as good as new. Hope that helps. What about scanning some of your docs and pics and including them in your posts? Ready to have a go? Just think of it as AFTS ;-)
It was only after my collar was released that I discovered that the Hastings mainwheels were the same as those on the Shackletons, Lincolns, Lancasters, Halifaxes, etc and were known to have a weakness for fracturing within the tyre well as had happened to me. The only problem was that this known weakness was not known to we crews, not that there was much that we could have done differently anyway.
A Hastings arrival depended on at least three people for its success; the driver of course, the Flight Engineer who closed off the power on the command "Slow Cut" from said driver, or "Cut" in the case of a Tactical Landing, and the Almighty who determined the outcome of the other two's efforts with whimsical unpredictability. Thus I thumped them in many more times than I care to remember like everyone else and am just as likely to have been the cause of my own discomfort as was anyone else. The annoying thing is that this last one was a "greaser", but all to no avail.
The other thing that I remember about that experience is that my Boss sent off a crew on a "Training Exercise" to land at the A/F where I had rendered my a/c Cat5, and where I was now marooned and surplus to requirements, to scoop me up and authorised me to Captain the return flight. I was extraordinarily blessed with good Bosses.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 3rd Oct 2012 at 08:14.