PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One-engine landing with C525; flaps setting???
Old 1st Oct 2012, 09:48
sooty3694

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You mean you are on the approach, flaps 35, get an engine failure 50' above your minimums, and your N-1 checklist calls for flaps 15 for landing?

When the engine failure occurs, as in example above, it does not (immediately) matter what your N-1 checklist (or equivalent) calls for, because in my opinion this is a mandatory go-around followed by a new approach that's been briefed and prepared as a single engine approach and landing.
Captain Prop, every time you take off I am sure you brief for the engine failure. From the above I can only assume that you don't do this for every approach. I can't speak for your SOPS, but ours are pretty clear on this and we brief to cover the eventuality of an engine failure during the approach. This means that both crew members know exactly what will be done should it happen either before DH, or at and after DH. The considerations you mention are therefore discussed and computed at or soon after TOD when time permits, and judgements need not be rushed in the heat of an abnormal situation.

Digressing very slightly, consider this. A previous poster (maybe you) pointed out that a stabilized approach featured a speed of between Vref -0/+15 at the appropriate "gate." I am of the opinion that there is no need to rush to get to Vref, and unless one is flying a steep approach Vap should be maintained for as long as possible, but then be bled off slowly so that Vref is achieved at the threshold. If this is done in practice there is no danger in reducing full flap by one notch at any point in the approach should an engine lose thrust - which is exactly what our checklist calls for.

Of course there is no "one fits all" answer, but IMHO briefing for the eventuality of an engine failure during the approach, and the considerations of it, is a wise precaution that you may like to consider...as you wish of course.