PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female Pilots
Thread: Female Pilots
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2012, 06:36
etopsmonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't be so quick to jump all over Yamma. I think he/she has a very valid question. It is human/natural evolution that women are the ones taking care of the kid(s) and family, while men go out to the hunting/gathering. Men are "evolved" to be away from home for days at a time, while women are "evolved" to be at home almost all the time with the kids. This has been true for thousands of years. Just because in the last 40 or so years that women has become more visible and capable in the workforce, doesn't void the history of natural evolution. Until human kind have X thousands years of history of the reverse (where women are the hunter/gatherers, and men are the caregiver), I think it is appropriate to exam Yamma's question.

I am not saying the women must stay at home and bear children, it is perfectly okay for a woman to decide not to have kids and pursue a career. However, I believe Yamma's question relates to female pilots with kid(s) ... how can the female pilots with child(ren) overcome with their maternal instinct to be away from home for X days at a time.

Question for the young female cadets/SO/FO here: right now, most of you are probably in your mid/late-20's, and maybe contemplating about starting a family and have kids before mid/late-30's ... do you REALLY/HONESTLY see yourself as able to have BOTH (piloting career, and family/kids)? In reality, you can only choose one. Are you willing to sacrifice a potential family for a career (especially with "caring" company)? (Well, this question can also apply to male pilots, who are thinking of coming to HK to work for a caring company) Being a pilot or cabin crew is not family-friendly. (Being very stereotypical here: most of the cabin crew just see their job as a "temp" job and not a career - a chance to travel and see the world before settling down. Or even as a mean to an end - which is to find that CN or First Class passenger and get married off.)

Do not get me wrong. I am all for women equity in every aspect of life and society. In fact, I think women and men as just as good decision makers and leaders ... it all has to do with the individual, and not the individual's gender.

Sorry, if I offended anyone here. Definitely not my intention. I am looking at this subject from a psychology, human evolution point of view. If I did offend any, I sincerely apologize.

Last edited by etopsmonkey; 1st Oct 2012 at 06:42.