PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has your UK CAA I/R lapsed by more than 7/6/3 years?
Old 30th Sep 2012, 10:40
BANANASBANANAS

Received 116 Likes on 57 Posts
EASA again - Now there is a 3 year rule

Not sure if this is new news or not. It sure made my eyes open when I heard. The 5 year rule regarding I/R is, quite rightly imho, being challenged by various members on PPRuNe and I wish you the very best with your rightous fight against bureacracy.

However, I have recently returned to SE Asia from a sim ride in EASA land which I thought I had booked for an I/R (might as well do an LPC anyway) as it was just over 4 years since my last I/R & LPC on my JAA licence. I am current on the same type on a non EASA but ICAO licence.

The sim was booked for early evening and in the afternoon I got a call from the examiner asking if I was aware of the new 3 year rule? I wasn't and he had only learned of it that morning. Bottom line is if your JAA/EASA LPC has expired by more than 3 years then you have to do the full type rating course again. If it has expired by a lesser amount then the training requirement gradually increases with the length of expiry. I'm afraid I can't quote you the reference but I did check directly with CAA who confirmed all the details. It came into effect 17/9/12 with EASA but was, apparently, only published some 6 weeks or so before that.

I guess that means there are now another bunch of guys who thought they were ok to wait just over 4 years before doing a JAA-EASA I/R and now find themselves staring at a type rating course if they wish to regain currency in EASA land.

What is the world coming to?