PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One-engine landing with C525; flaps setting???
Old 29th Sep 2012, 15:13
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Say you have the engine fail at 50ft above minima and the mem item says flaps 15?
You mean you are on the approach, flaps 35, get an engine failure 50' above your minimums, and your N-1 checklist calls for flaps 15 for landing?

When the engine failure occurs, as in example above, it does not (immediately) matter what your N-1 checklist (or equivalent) calls for, because in my opinion this is a mandatory go-around followed by a new approach that's been briefed and prepared as a single engine approach and landing.

The airbus is the exception (on the various aircraft I have flown, there may of course be more) to the go around in the above situation. If you are performing an autoland, and have an engine failure below 200' RA, you would continue and land. The difference with the airbus is also that there is a note in the QRH under "Straight-in approach with one engine inoperative" stating something along the lines of "For performance reasons, do not extend flap full until established on final descend.....if level off is required use flap 3....." and not "when landing assured" as many manufacturers states.

Remember, the stabilized approach criteria calls for "Aircraft in landing configuration" and any change to your landing configuration, below 500' / 1000' as per your company SOPs, makes it an unstable approach.

I would also add that if your aircraft type calls for a specific flap setting, when landing N-1, and the runway you are planning to land on is too short for that flap setting, then you have two choices (my opinion):

1. Divert and find an airport that allows you to land with your failure(-s) and associated flap setting. (Recommended option!!)

2. Use a flap setting that allows you to land within the runway length available. In this case could get you in to all sorts of performance issues in case of a go-around, and whatever you do make sure you can stand in front of a judge and explain your actions and that "it was in the interest of safety of the crew and passengers and as the Commander I decided to...etc etc".

CP