PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Demise of Hong Kong Airlines
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2012, 16:40
Meccano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going back to the early days, CX always had a majority of Australian pilots. Most of the early DFO's were Australians. It wasn't until the late 60's and early 70's that Brits turned up en masse from the RAF and RN plus some from BEA, Brittania and Court Line. The Australian majority in flight ops was not overtaken until the late 70's.
You just confirmed exactly what I wrote. Did you actually read my words?

These days it is a pretty even spread between Brits, Australians, Canadians, Kiwis, HK belongers and 'the rest', which includes yarpies, Germans, Danes...and one great Zimbabwean!
Even spread eh?
Maybe all the non-Aussies are living in bases, cos any time I visit HKG the CX guys I 'bump into' are bloody Aussies. Figures in a way - the normal blokes go for quality of life. The Aussies stay in HKG and try to run the show.

After the 89 lockout in Australia, a very few joined CX but the majority went to SQ, Europe, GA or left the industry. From memory the joiners would not have made a cricket team.
Sorry, that's crap. Plenty joined CX, I know that first hand because I got to fly with a few ex-Ansett F/O's who came to europe and told us where they really wanted to be (even though we gave them jobs in my company). They were arsey bastards to work with. Full of themselves. Always looking for a fight. One guy even tried to beat up a Brit Charter Airline F/O in Ops in Bristol one day cos he decided the kangaroo lapel pin he was wearing identified him as a scab. I had to physically restrain the bugger. They all left eventually, good riddance. Probably being arsey in CX instead now.

And for your files, many of the strike breakers that turned up in Australia came from the United States...the connection being America West and Ansett/News cross ownership.
Mate (can I call you that?) I didn't say the T's&C's in Australia were degraded by that event in '89. I meant the whole wide world.
When was it that the B Scale was introduced at CX? Ooo....around '93 I think...just when the world pilot surplus was really kicking in. Thanks to the thousands of Aussies still out looking for jobs. You do realise that you don't degrade the general market only by TAKING a low paid job? You degrade it by being out there bombarding airlines with pleas for work.

..the US domestic feeders seem to have managed to trump everyone...not to mention a/c technology which has proven that a chimp can fly an A330 or a 777 until you reach coffin corner with frozen pitot tubes.
Pay at US Regionals was always crap. That's their system. Meanwhile the guys sitting in the LHS of a United 747 were simultaneously the highest paid pilots in the world.

Speaking of chimps - will you throw that monkey Ex-man a few peanuts and give his cage another rattle.
Good OnƯa!!