PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One-engine landing with C525; flaps setting???
Old 24th Sep 2012, 21:53
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect the Cessna checklist is written the way it is to avoid the possibility of landing flaps15 and going straight to ground flap after touchdown which, as the flaps travel, may mean the wing gives enough lift to get airborne again unintentionally. Not a likely event but one that the legal eyes in Wichita probably want to have covered. To answer the original poster, in the case of a genuine OEI emergency I wouldn't take landing flap until I had good visual contact and I was cleared to land (which they would probably have done as soon as you commenced the approach on a mayday). There is no OEI landing climb gradient quoted in any of the CJ's (its only 2 engined data) so I really wouldn't want to risk going around against landing flap so for that reason I would probably not take the landing flap if I got visual at minima in very poor vis after an ILS. I would simply concentrate on landing. If you fly a private aircraft or for a slightly more broad minded public transport operation why don't you occasionally land the CJ with the flaps up or at 15 just so that you're used to it. The speedbrakes retraction at 50 feet is utter rubbish caused by a lack of money during certification - they simply didnt certify it with the speedbrakes out and then did a bit of a fiddle to certify it to land with the speedbrakes out off a steep approach. I really wouldnt fiddle with the speedbrakes at 50 feet..

I miss the CJ.. I don't miss folding myself into the cockpit but I do miss actually doing a bit of flying!

(I'm not as qualified as doody or the other chap - I just sit in the front when people let me)

Last edited by tommoutrie; 24th Sep 2012 at 21:56.